Thursday, June 11, 2015

Who Knew?

Almost two years ago my husband and I uprooted our life in Southern California to make a new start in Austin, TX. It was scary and fun and exciting and did I mention scary? We had a 5 month old, I had just quit my  job and here we were starting all over again. It turned out to be the best decision we could have made but at the time did I worry! After living here for several months we bought our first home. It has been SO fun making it our own. Almost every project we have done 100% by ourselves and with no prior experience. 

I've always felt like the person that could tackle just about any craft. In some ways that is a fault of mine evident all too many times in failed projects. It's those failure's though, that help me gain the knowledge so that I don't repeat them. And it's the knowledge that pushes me to the next project!

When we bought our home I viewed it as one big "craft" and really, in many ways, it has been. Learning how to use power tools, the trickery in choosing a paint color, the thousands of trips to Lowe's and Home Depot, the pain, sweat and sometimes even tears have become something I enjoy oddly enough. It's usually me that comes up with the next big plan of attack and I'm SO lucky that my sweet husband goes along for the ride. He named me his DIYife and hence an idea was born!

"They" always say "do something that doesn't feel like work", "do something that you enjoy and the rest will fall into place". Well...here goes nothing! The one thing that I have ALWAYS enjoyed is finding simple (and cheap) ways to spruce up my home. Re-purposing, re-using, buying from thrift stores or on Craigslist is one of my secret obsessions. I love decorating and remodeling and all the fun things that go along with it. I love transforming a room with a can of paint and shopping my own house to make that space feel alive again!

I never thought I'd be publicizing my adventures so stick with me as I venture through the world of blogging. I am in NO WAY a "writer" so excuse the grammar and punctuation mistakes (there will be plenty). I just love to make a house a HOME and want to share what I have learned with you! In a sea of AMAZING bloggers turning builder grade houses into beautiful homes it's easy to assume I will be lost in the bunch but I'm not doing this for any other reason than because I LOVE DIY and if we can do it, you can too! I have learned SO much and hopefully I can inspire someone to tackle a project of their own!





No comments:

Post a Comment