Monday, June 29, 2015

Entry Table Makeover with Homemade Chalk Paint

I picked a table up on Craigslist for $30 bucks knowing full well I would eventually paint it. It was originally blonde with a few knots in it and looked exactly like this type of wood:

I knew I wanted that distressed "chalky paint" look but didn't really know where to start. I only hear amazing things about Annie Sloan's "miracle" chalk paint but unfortunately it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time (I do desperately want to try it someday though). I did some research and finally came across a talented friend that gave me a recipe on how to make my own homemade chalk paint! *Update: I've used it on several pieces and been thrilled with the results so far!

  • 1 TBSP Calcium Carbonate Powder (ordered mine off Amazon) dissolved in 2 TBSP's of warm water
  • 1 Cup Flat Latex Paint
I sanded the entire table down and then wiped it clean. The top was painted with regular old black and the bottom was painted with a Behr color named "Aged Beige". After it was dried I gave it a light sanding and did a second coat then let dry overnight. I used my hand sander and gave it a distressed look focusing on the edges of the table and where normal wear would show. *I've also heard you can do this AFTER the next step, I just never have* Lastly, I sealed it by buffing two coats of  SC Johnson Paste Wax on with a clean soft rag.

The decor on top CONSTANTLY changes, that's just what I do, but this is how it looks today:


-The frames hanging on the wall are from IKEA 
-The botanical prints were ripped nicely taken out of a book about...well, BOTANICAL FLOWERS
-The candlesticks were from TJ MAXX (I think). They were originally red and I painted them with white matte paint and distressed them with my sander. The red chippy paint sort of peeks through which I think looks really cool
-The mirrored frames were from Big Lots! (I LOVE these frames and regret not buying out the stock. I've never seen them again)
-The bowl was given to us and the orbs were a variety from different stores (Hobby Lobby and At Home)



No comments:

Post a Comment